Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Working for something I believe in...

by Jennifer Salazar serving with United Way of Lake County - Gurnee, Illinois
Jenny Salazar working hard during her service year.
"I do know that I only want to work for something I believe in."
As my year is coming to an end everyone in the world is asking, “What’s next!?” It’s nerve wrecking! I’ve spent this whole year giving so much of myself, my time, energy, work, and commitment to something I’ve known was only temporary. So what is my next step? I have no idea what my next step is, but what I do know is that I only want to work for something I believe in. I only want to work for people who deserve my efforts. I only want to work for communities that listen to their community members. My next steps need to be filled with purpose or else I’m going nowhere.
"I have learned to place my worth
not in money,but in people
and their stories."
            What I plan to take from my year of service will be all the experience I’ve gained. I know- what a cheesy answer and of course the professional experience comes to mind. I’ve learned about volunteer management, program coordination, fundraising, professional do’s and don’ts, how to facilitate meetings, working with corporate partners, working with other non-profits. My list of professional development can go on and on, but that is not the experience I am referring to. The experience I will take from my year as a VISTA is the type of experience that makes you a better person. It’s something that teaches you how to handle yourself in times of struggle. It has been an experience that has shown me my true strength and will as a person who is dedicated to making change. I have learned the true meaning of perseverance.
To be completely honest, my year as a VISTA has been one of the most challenging years of my life- emotionally, financially, and spiritually. The transition from being a student for 16 years straight to becoming a working adult is not easy, especially when you decide to take on full time work while committing to a vow of poverty.  I have felt the stressors of money before, but never like I did during my year as a VISTA. My vow of poverty has truly given me a glimpse into the lifestyle of the poor and marginalized. I’ve learned to place my worth not in money, but in people and their stories. There have been many days where I lost faith about the work I was doing. I wondered if it was even worth it. I thought about quitting, about how easy it would be to literally take any job and make more money than I was making as a VISTA. It became extremely tiresome working tirelessly every day and committing so much of myself for a paycheck that couldn’t sustain me. But I’ve kept going and as my year finishes I know that VISTA was the right decision for me.   
           I hate to admit it, but my biggest learning experience this year had to do with money and my vow of poverty.  Yes, I struggled with money. Yes, I went without certain things I use to think I needed. Yes, I felt left out and left behind as my peers went on trips, got raises at their jobs, and showed me their new cars or apartments. But these relatively new feelings I was experiencing are the reality of many of my students, parents, and many of my community members. That feeling of helplessness and poverty are the feelings my people and peers go through every day. That feeling knowing that no matter what I do and how hard I work absolutely nothing is going to change my situation. The only difference between my experiences with poverty is that I’ve known this whole year, 100%, that this struggle was only temporary. This is the point of VISTA to fight the war on poverty because this is people’s realities every day of their life. And not everyone has the privilege to think that their situation is only temporary. And their situations will stay permanent if we don’t take action to help, educate, and change our communities.
            As of now I have exactly 29 days left as a VISTA. What will I take with me to my next venture? I will take the satisfaction and comfort knowing that I do not stand idly by, that I am not okay with complacency and turning a blind eye to poverty. I will take passion, commitment, and vision to my next venture whatever it may be. I will never stop being a Volunteer in Service to America because I will consciously be involved in service and progressive change. I will take a sense of pride and accomplishment with me, wherever my next “steps” lead.


No comments:

Post a Comment