Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Class Act
by Noemi Rodriguez
serving at Youth Policy Institute in LA
Miguel stood out to me as soon as I started my service here at Sylmar Biotech Health Academy. He always hung around the school offices after school and was not in the least bit shy around us newbie’s. Not long after our first day of work Miguel approached me with a request, to create his drama club for him. He definitely had a vision and a goal and knew what he wanted. I really liked that about him and appreciated it. Miguel is not the best student, grades wise, but he is very much involved with the school and is incredibly smart and imaginative. After completing all the paperwork necessary for there to be a drama club in our school Miguel got to work, letting me know that we needed to start advertising the club and raising money so that they can have some funds for props. Miguel is always thinking ahead and always ready to work. He has a great determination when it comes to things he is passionate about. Miguel was full of ideas and would bring them to my attention every chance he had. After our adventure working together to create the school’s first drama club Miguel became my go to advisor. I believe Miguel is filled with one great idea after another. A lot of the times he amazes me with some of the things he suggests, not only for the drama club but for other school activities as well. I now search Miguel out when I want to share an idea for a new program, I like to ask him for suggestions and also brainstorm ideas with him. His focus and commitment to his creative vision has really inspired me and has made a huge difference in how I run and create programming for this school. They are no longer my programs or my ideas but the students as well. It is a collaboration between myself and the youth who represent the school.  Not only that but the connection I have made with Miguel and students like Miguel have provided me with the drive and motivation you need to get a job like ours done. Miguel’s quick welcoming of me and trust in me helped relieve my first time jitters, allowing me to jump right into my work without any fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment